Friday, March 5, 2010

On Lady Gaga, or Taking the Guilt out of Guilty Pleasures

It’s almost irresistible.


When that song inevitably comes on the radio you will find it impossible to stop yourself from enjoying it, and you can’t keep from hating yourself just a little. And if, for you (as is sometimes the case with me), that song just so happens to be Ke$ha’s “TiKToK”, I won’t stop you from feeling guilty.


Personally, I start to develop the but-it-hurts-so-good sense of self-loathing when I find myself mouthing the words, “Wish I could shut my playboy mouth... how’d I turn my shirt inside out...? Oh-oh-oh-oh...” (This is from Just Dance, which once sold over 400,000 downloads in a single week.)


Let’s not kid ourselves here. Lady Gaga is INFECTIOUS. But don’t you dare be ashamed! I’ll tell you why.


It’s been a long and tedious road for the artist/fashionista formerly known as Stefani Germanotta, who swiped her moniker from the Queen song, “Radio Gaga”. She has gone to war with those in the industry who told her she was too theater, too pop, and she has come out far ahead.


How has the megapopstar managed to evade worst-dressed list in every piece of garbage journalism, somehow placing her over-the-top outfits on a level that escapes judgment? Her-- to say the very least-- avante-garde sense of fashion, combined with music that exudes sexuality earns her a title previously held by iconic one-namers like Elvis and Madonna. She is a performer that defines a generation. And I don’t know about any of you, but she completely reversed my disdain for mainstream pop. I never saw myself rockin’ out to aforementioned guilty pleasure “TiKToK”, but that’s what happened. What can I say? It’s catchy.


While the sensual nature of most popular music is nothing new, Lady Gaga seems to do it in a way that is unique to her among her pop-genre cohorts. Her choice to wear such wild, creative outfits without apparent concern over how she will be perceived demonstrates that her sense of show is merely for her own benefit. The fact that she spends every penny she earns on more show for her concerts with the fact that she never parties because she’s always working and the fact that she gets a great deal of her material from sex shops all combine to show a devotion to the art and craft of showbusiness that is unprecedented by her contemporaries.


The fact is, Lady Gaga does what she wants and doesn’t give a shit what anyone has to say about it.


Her talent has allowed her to revolutionize the pop music industry. The Lady set out with a goal, and it was to bring visual artistry and fashion back into harmony with pop, and she succeeded because she refused to allow anyone to tell her it wasn’t possible.


No doubt about it, Lady Gaga is fearless. I hope sometime she gets a chance to read this and know how much I respect her as a feminist and simply as a girl who also doesn’t always fit the mold. From here on in, I am on Team Gaga.

No comments:

Post a Comment