Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Oscars are Tomorrow!

I'm pretty darn excited about the Oscars being tomorrow, partly because I miss them due to work /lack of cable almost EVERY year. Whether I'm at my mom's house talking about wedding details or already back at home unwinding from that fun with a whiskey on the rocks, I guarantee you that the TV will be trained toward ABC. Hosting this year will be arguably two of the funniest guys in the business: Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin.

There are a lot of different things to like about the Oscars. I get to see how the movies that I have seen perform (usually one or two-- this time it's Avatar, Inglourious Basterds, and District 9.) I also get to see lots of good preview footage of the movies I haven't gotten a chance to see yet, like The Hurt Locker and Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire, both of which have earned wide acclaim. I've been a fan of Jeremy Renner (nominated for Best Leading Actor for his performance in The Hurt Locker) for a long time and am really glad that such a great actor is finally getting some recognition on the big screen and on the red carpet. Is he nominated? *pause while I check the website* Sure enough, he is. Good for you, Jeremy Renner! Good for Gabourey Sidibe, a newcomer, nominated for Best Leading Actress for her performance in Precious, too. Also, we see Sandra Bullock receiving her first Oscar nod for her performance in The Blind Side. Another relative newcomer, Carey Mulligan, for An Education, is in the pack. Top that already impressive list off with Hollywood legends Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren, and we've got some heavy, suspenseful competition! Tomorrow night's show should prove to be fabulous!

And let's not forget the clothes. Boy, do I love to look at dresses. Lace and chiffon and satin, crystals and beads and ribbons, accessories, shoes, sleek hair in elegant chignons and pinned up in curls. Makeup. Sigh. To attend the Oscars, just once, just to dress up one time the way the stars do every year would be a dream come true for me. Alas, I usually spend the next few weeks perusing the raunchiest rags for the best and worst dressed lists (though I don't always agree with their decisions). This time, I will see them in real time!

Just for kicks, pass the time until tomorrow night with this hilarious list of Honest Movie Titles from collegehumor.com.

And in the comments, feel free to leave your thoughts/predictions on who the Oscar favorites will be tomorrow! What were your favorite movies this year? Who gave your favorite performances? Inquiring minds want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment